Friday, August 17, 2007

Moving

Micah and I have spent a few weeks away: a few days in Hamilton visiting friends and then about 10 days visiting my parents at the Au Sable Institute for Environmental Studies in northern Michigan where my dad teaches a course every summer. We stayed in a cottage surrounded by pine trees, next to a nice beach and a lovely lake. It was good to relax and be away for a while. Micah is doing great. He has taken his first steps and is often very chatty, full of smiles and laughter. He brings much joy to my life.

The past few days have been very tough, probably some of the toughest days of the summer. I am packing up our house as we are moving in the coming week. Going through our things has released a flood of memories of my life with Paula. So many amazing memories. So much pain as the reality of what I have lost is becoming ever clearer. I miss her terribly.

I am actually looking forward to this move. Micah and I are moving into a big old house with my friends Jonathan and Jen Patrick. JP and Jen have just recently moved to Ottawa from Vancouver. Micah and I will be living on the third floor which has been converted into an apartment, while my friends - with their two boys - will be on the two floors below. The house is in a fantastic, and somewhat trendy, neighbourhood in Ottawa called "The Glebe". We are walking distance to all sorts of stores, coffee shops, pubs, restaurants, the Rideau Canal, and even our church. It will be great to have friends close by. Another reason for the move is to be closer to my cousin Bertina Hogeterp who will be caring for Micah during the days when I go back to work in September. Bertina and Paula had become very close as they had much in common including the fact that they were both social workers. I am so thankful that she is able to take care of Micah. Once I have moved, I will email out my new address and phone number.

Thank you for your prayers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darren,
You don't know me, but I learned of you and of Micah from a good friend of mine, Esther - a sister to your good friend Paul Vandenbrink. I have read your blog and have checked it many times since May to see how you are both managing but I have never written -today I felt that I should - for one simple reason really - to let you know that there are people you don't even know that are praying for you both and thinking of you daily. It's a wonder to me sometimes how God connects the family of believers, but you have touched many hearts by sharing your life and your grief with us. Thank you for continuing to do this and for making an impact on the lives of people you will likely never even meet. I pray that your move will go well and that Micah especially will adjust to his new home and new daily caregiver - And may you both find much comfort in your Almighty caregiver as you wait to be with Paula again.
Sincerely,
Jennifer de Vries and family

David Koyzis said...

Darren:

We saw Eric and Bertina a few weeks ago here in Hamilton, and I heard from them about this arrangement. It's good you have such close friends to turn to at such a time. You and Micah remain in our prayers.

David

Anonymous said...

Darren,
I can only imagine how difficult it must be to pack up and move from the place you and Paula shared. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you during this time.
Susan, Bill and the boys

Anonymous said...

Hi Darren,
just a 'hi' from a distant aquaintance -- I hope that your move goes smoothly and allows you to move forward in the new direction your lives have taken. Wishing you and Micah bright skies and clear memories.
Teresa Miedema-Wunsche

Anonymous said...

Hi Darren,
I just wanted you to know that there are people who are still reading your blog. I often thought of you and Paula and where life took you after Vancouver (I think the last time I saw you was at your wedding). I am so pleased to see that you were blessed with a beautiful son (I have been blessed with an amazing little girl). Although I cannot imagine what you have been through, please know that you are thought of fondly and I will always have wonderful memories of Paula. Take care and all the best with your move. Hug Micah and discover a world of happiness through him.

God bless,
Lesley Driscoll (Dolman) and family

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Micah on his first steps! The next few months will be exciting for him (and you!).

Darren, we hope your move goes smoothly. It sounds like a positive step for both you and Micah. We greatly admire your inner strength during this difficult time. We're always thinking of you.

Louise, Doug and Ryan Lang