Sunday, February 17, 2008

Decisions

This past month or so, I have been consumed with making decisions, really big decisions. Having to make big decisions on your own is not fun. I so wish Paula could have been here with me.

I have decided to move from Ottawa to Hamilton. I have accepted a tenure-track faculty position in Chemisty at Redeemer University College, a small Christian liberal arts undergraduate university. Professionally, this is a big change for me, going from a relatively prominent research institution (the National Research Council of Canada) to a somewhat obscure teaching university. Personally, however, Hamilton is the closest thing to "home" for me now: my parents, my brother, the core of long-time deep friendships, Paula's brother in Toronto, and perhaps in the long run, Paula's parents. This was a very difficult decision to make, but I am confident that it is the best thing for me and for Micah. I feel a real sense of God's calling and leading in this. Furthermore, this is something that Paula and I had contemplated as a possibility for our future. I am very excited about joining the faculty at Redeemer and I feel that it is a good fit for who I am.

I plan to start teaching at Redeemer next January. I have decided that I need to take some time for myself and for Micah before delving into this new job. I plan to finish my present job in May, move to Hamilton in the summer at some point, and then go to Vancouver for the fall semester to take some courses at Regent College, something Paula and I had always wanted to do. Not only will this experience be great for me personally and spiritually, but it will lay a great foundation for my work at
Redeemer. Furthermore, Paula's parents live in the Vancouver area and I still have many close friendships there.

It will be a bit of an adventure for Micah and I and I am looking forward to what this year holds. But, oh how I wish Paula could be with us for this!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the LORD, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed. Deuteronomy 31:8

Anonymous said...

Hey, we heard the news of your move through the Dutch grapevine. It sounds like this was difficult to decide, yet it seems you have peace with the whole matter. May the moments of laughter and meeting of new faces outweigh the moments of sorrow and goodbyes. And so onward you move with Him into this new phase of your life journey.

in our thoughts and prayers

Ralph and Sara Pot

Anonymous said...

I think the Hamilton community will be blessed with your talents. May you be at peace with your decision and be able to look forward to starting new things with Micah.

Anonymous said...

we are still thinking of you and praying for you......may God bless the deceisions you have yet to make and guide you on this new journey.

peace and blessings to you and Micah.

love the Thies' (George and Janis and Fam)

Anonymous said...

Darren, you may not remember me but we share a few close friends in common - Schat, Cook, etc. My wife (Julie) and I have been following your journey in large part through their updates. We continue to pray for both you and Micah. As a resident Hamiltonian we're excited about your decision to move here, and let me be the first to unofficially welcome you. I hope the next few months of transition go smoothly, and that you are led to increasing clarity and peace through the process.
Strength to you,
David Kingma

Anonymous said...

Big, life changing decisions to make on your own. Praying that God will continue to affirm these changes in the days ahead.

I go to Ancaster CRC, if you visit one Sunday, I'd like to say hi and meet Micah. My son Liam is his age, I'm sure they'd love tearing around the nursery together.

Anonymous said...

Big, life changing decisions to make on your own. Praying that God will continue to affirm these changes in the days ahead.

I go to Ancaster CRC, if you visit one Sunday, I'd like to say hi and meet Micah. My son Liam is his age, I'm sure they'd love tearing around the nursery together.

Anonymous said...

Darren, no doubt this must have been a difficult decision for you. May you continue to seek His will in all of your decisions.
Although your new job isn't too high profile nor perhaps as prestigious as your current one, what really counts is that you are following God's will for your life. It will be good for you and your son to be nearby family and familiar faces again. May God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Darren, my name is Natasha Postuma (van eyk) I went to Redeemer with you for one year, I was in your brothers class. I have been following your life for the past several months, and I have been praying and thinking of you often. I am so sorry that you have lost your awesome wife, but am so thankful that your son is here with you. Leaving Ottawa and coming to Hamilton is huge but so glad you can be around family and friends, so many our praying for you and will continue to pray for you. God Bless you and your son on this new journey He has set out for you. Maybe we will see you around in the months to come.
Natasha (vanEyk) Postuma

Anonymous said...

Darren and Micah, we will miss you! But it is clear that you're following the Lord's leading and we trust that you will visit from time to time.
Blessings and Prayers to you, from Beth Shirey

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your job at Redeemer! I know you will enjoy it there - awesome staff, great student body!! Enjoy the fellowship of believers... they will continue to lift you and Micah up!

David Koyzis said...

Darren, welcome to Redeemer. We are happy to have you with us. You remain in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Darren,
Best of luck on your new life journey.
Anna (NRC-SIMS).

Anonymous said...

hi darren and micah hows things. just reading ur blog.The snow looks lovely so crisp and clear. Hope the move goes ok for you both. At least you will be near Aunty June Uncle Gerard and Stephan so hopefully it wont be too lonely for you. Plus you will have your friends near aswell. thinkng of you both. Susan @ Gary O Connor.