Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Birthdays and Firsts

(from Paula's brother Stephen)

I love April. Spring consumes April. April’s vowel is the first letter in the alphabet. With five simple letters it stands alone, undivided as a prime. However, this year April holds two painful distinctions: birthdays and the preface to the final chapter of a year that leads to the anniversary of Paula’s untimely death.

Tomorrow marks eleven months since Paula’s passing. I’m at a loss as how to navigate the coming weeks. Weeks that house Paula’s birthday - in four days; my birthday - in thirteen days; and the anniversary of her death, again, in thirty days.

The coming month also marks the end of a year with the most “traditional” firsts without her. The first Noel came and went, first New Year, first Easter, Halloween and first every other normally benign calendar day that may contain an email or “hi, it’s me” on the other end of the telephone line. And, most importantly, Micah’s first birthday. The pending three dates mark the unwanted triad of primaries that will be the most personal to surpass.

Our parents, for most the part, always combined our birthdays, as we are nine days apart, and that simple gesture belies the woven and natural depth of the camaraderie and adoration that I shared with Paula. Although, funny enough, once out of the nest, neither one of us ever sent a greeting to each other that arrived on time – I guess we just knew we had the whole month to ourselves.

Thirty days from now will likely be consumed with the greatest isolation and sorrow, and will surely bare down with unflinching, painful precision. But our two days this month contain some of my happiest personal memories. And so, in a year of painful firsts, I still love and find hope in April.

Happy Birthday Paula - I miss and love you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you and your son Micah, I pray that during this coming month you remember the good times you had with Paula on these special birthdays. Praying for strength and comfort for the next month of your year of firsts. God had His arms wrapped around you, find comfort in Him.
Prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hello Stephen, Darren and Micah, knowing that so many are still praying for you, for strength and comfort, will hopefully make this April "burden" easier to carry. Wishing you a blessed birthday. With Love, Terry and Yvonne V

Anonymous said...

We continue to read, we continue to pray....

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful message Stephen. Paula entered our lives at the young age of 10 weeks three years after Stephen and we feel God truly Blessed us with two wonderful children. April was always a happy month for us,but this year we cannot say that we feel happy.Paula should be with us celebrating her 32nd Birthday this weekend.Darren we are thinking and praying for you and Micah and looking forward to you seeing you both next month.Everyone who knew Paula is missing her.Paula left us with no time to say goodbye,not even her precious baby Micah got his Mom's hug.But we her Parents Stephen and Darren have so many wonderful memories of Paula, that somehow seem to creap into our minds and thoughts' when we feel so sad and lonely for Paula,that I beleive they come from the Lord and Paula by his side. We Love You Paula and you will never leave our Hearts.We will celebrate your Birthday this weekend and you will be with us as you are Everyday in our Thoughts and in our Hearts. from June and Gerry (Sharpe)

Angie said...

Paula came up a lot in conversation today. I guess I've been dreading this day and May 16 the most.

Erin's here this weekend. I think we felt like there was no other way to remember Paula but to be together.

There's a big space. I tdon't think it will ever be filled. I don't want it to be filled.

Happy birthday, friend.
BST forever. Ang and Erin xoxo

Anonymous said...

As I sit here in Dublin Ireland in my brothers home, I want to pick up the phone to wish Paula a happy birthday, but i'm sure she knows that. As the time has gone by most everything that could be said, has been said.
Why do we all miss her so much?.
Someone once said "all the worlds a stage and all the men and women
are simply players", but Paula was no player, no actor, every thing Paula did and said came from the very bottom of her heart. A heart so big it refused to die. If that could be said about all of us, what a wonderfull world it would be.
Many years ago, a priest told me when we get to the gates of Heaven St. Peter will ask us why we think we have the right to enter, when my time comes I expect to hear from just behind St. Peter, " but St.Peter that's my Dad." Then I will be truly happy.
To day I wish that for all of you.