Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Back from the west

It has been a month since I have last posted anything. Micah and I have been out west for most of the past month, for a number of reasons. I had a chemistry conference to attend in Edmonton, we visited Paula's parents and many of our friends in the Vancouver area, and I took an excellent course at Regent College. There is much for me to process and think about from this trip, as it marks the beginning of a transition into our new life: new experiences and memories, new relationships and friendships, new ideas and directions.

One of the highlights was a personal retreat at Rivendell retreat centre on Bowen Island, during which I began to write a series of letters that I hope to give to Micah one day when he is older. I hope that I have the discipline to finish this over the summer. I also re-read two of the books that I read last summer (Wolterstorff's Lament for a Son and Sittser's A Grace Disguised) and I was struck by how much my grief journey was influenced by these two books. I don't think I would be in the place I am now if it were not for what these wise and experienced fellow mourners have shared and expressed in their books.

It was strange to spend a long stretch of time in Vancouver, where Paula and I spent the bulk of our life together. In some ways, that time seems like a past life already, which is frightening to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep going. Strength and grace to you.

Sara Pot

Anonymous said...

I think it is wonderful that you are writing to your son, that will be a priceless gift when he is older. I cannot imagine your journey, but I can see from your blog you seem to be moving forward which must be very difficult. We continue to pray for you and Micah.

Anonymous said...

We all know that Paula was an exceptional person, wife, and mother (and now she is so much more as she waits for us!) - but your faithfulness to her memory, trust in God, and loving care of Micah show that you were God's gift to her as well. You continue to "walk in the light as He is in the light." For me, anyway, this inspires praise to our God.
Blessings, Beth Shirey

Anonymous said...

Hi Darren and Micah, continuing to think of you often. We wish you peace as you begin your new journey in Hamilton. Keep writing ~ both the letters to Micah and on your blog. We will continue to pray. Blessings, Terry and Yvoone