Saturday, May 17, 2008

Chapter Two

Today is the beginning of year two, chapter two, of Life-without-Paula.

Strangely, I awoke this morning with a little bit more peace, a little less of a heavier heart, and genuine anticipation for what this year holds. I will obviously continue to grieve for Paula, but I think it will be a little less painful and sad. I hope that pictures of Paula and recollection of memories will no longer only bring pangs of sadness over our loss, but bring a slight smile to my face as I recall a joy-filled life with Paula.

Over the past two days, I did a lot of remembering. I entered into memories and past events that I had been too afraid to go into. I read my entire journal over the past year; I read the entire blog again for the first time; I drove the route that Paula drove on that tragic day; I sat at the scene of the accident and watched the still-speeding trucks go by; I visited the hospital where she died; I cried; I wrote more in my journal; I brought flowers to Paula's grave and stayed for a long time.

My journal and the blog were amazing to read again. I am thankful that I had written down the events of the days surrounding her death, because I wouldn't be able to remember many details, as I was in so much shock. Your comments on the blog - the tributes to Paula - brought joy to me as I re-read them all. The sum total of these tributes really capture who Paula was. Thank you to all who have shared.

I miss her so much still - even more so after this time of remembering. But my heart is not as heavy as it once was. Thank you for all your encouraging emails, thoughts, and prayers this week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanking Jesus....that your not feeling as heavy....Paula wants you to live a life light on you feet. Enjoy chapter two....take joy in the memories...and embrace the future.
Prayers for the year ahead...may you be blessed.

Janis

Anonymous said...

though i don't know you, you are in my thoughts and prayers. you are an incredibly strong man.

Anonymous said...

Praying for strength and encouragement as you wander into Chapter 2. I hope you enjoy a blessed year with Micah, as you look back and cherish the memories you shared with Paula. I pray you feel God's presence wherever you are. You continue to be an a inspiration to me Darren, thank you!

Anonymous said...

I don't know you and I have never met you or your family, though we have links through Highfield church. I read this blog from time to time and cry and pray for you (I am blessed with a child a similar age to Micah). I wish I had some words, something profound and moving to share - but I don't.

Just know that there are lots of other people like me who found this online and keep thinking of you and Micah and praying for you both. x

Anonymous said...

Darren

I just wanted to write a note to let you know that we've been thinking about you, Paula and Micah. I've reread all your postings and though it may be hard for you, I really appreciate you maintaining the blog. It helps me remember who Paula was and what she meant to me. I look forward to getting together when you return to Vancouver this fall.

Dan.

Anonymous said...

Keep on keeping on, Darren.

Dave B.

Anonymous said...

-we miss hearing reading posts.
Keep on Darren. Stay strong :)