Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ottawa Heroes

Micah and I have now moved to Hamilton. We left Ottawa last week Thursday. It all feels quite surreal, as it only feels like we're visiting. It will take some time to feel settled here.

I wrote the following on my computer as I was leaving Ottawa, but haven't got around to posting in until now.

Today I am leaving Ottawa. As I go, I want to thank a number of people who were crucial to making it through the past year:
Bertina Hogeterp, my cousin, who has been taking care of Micah when I have been working. She is a big part of who Micah is now.
Jonathan & Jen Patrick, my friends who lived downstairs from us and shared their lives with Micah and I, providing meals and companionship, easing my loneliness.
John & Sally Patrick who vacated their beautiful apartment in the Glebe in order that Micah and I could live in the same house as JP and Jen.
Eric & Brenda Brouwer, my brother and sister-in-law who had Micah and I over for dinner with their family every week.
Dan & Sheila Veenstra, friends from our church, who brought over dinner to my place every other week, and were great friends.
Rev. Jennifer Wickham and family, for opening their home to me, sharing meals, for friendship, support, and prayer.
Rev. David Crawley, rector at our church, who met with me regularly for coffee over the past year, providing a listening ear and good counsel.
Richard & Karen Hoshino who made sure that the nursery at church was staffed, so that I could attend church, confident that Micah was well-taken care of.

I will miss these people and all of my other friends in Ottawa.
Thank you for all your support over this last year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Darren, wishing you many blessings in your new beginning in Hamilton. In our thoughts and prayers often. Yvonne and Terry

Anonymous said...

Darren,
Thinking of you and your son, welcome back to Hamilton, hope to see you around.
Natasha Postuma