Thursday, December 6, 2007

Marisa

Today, I received news that my good friend Mendelt lost his dear wife Marisa after a courageous year-long battle with cancer (click here to go to their amazing blog). He is my age, early thirties. They have three kids, their youngest just a few months older than my Micah. Marisa and Mendelt have been a shining example of faith in the face of suffering - they have been an inspiration to me. This is so devestating. We were all hoping that if anybody could beat this cancer, it would be Marisa and Mendelt. Alas, it is not be. It is so hard, if not impossible, to understand. This is not the way it is supposed to be.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I am very sorry. What a horrible year for you and your friend. Eventhough we have not met, I will be thinking of you and Micah this Christmas...god bless.

Brenda (Kempf) Langford

Anonymous said...

Hi Darren
You don't know me, but my husband, son and I attend Mendelt and Marisa's church. I have been reading your blog over the past few weeks...you are also in my thoughts this Christmas. I have to say that Micah, Zion, Jacoba and Zekijah have amazing fathers to look after them. If you are anything like Mendelt (a bright shining and outgoing star), your children are certainly blessed. No one can replace a mother, but they certainly will have the most amazing fathers in their lives. Stay strong
Leanne Vanderkolk

Unknown said...

Darren- just want to let you know that we continue to remember you and Micah. We will pray for you as you go through the Christmas season with a lot of sadness in your heart.
Take care and God bless.
With love from,
Kim Teeuwsen

Unknown said...

Darren- just want to let you know that we continue to remember you and Micah. We will pray for you as you go through the Christmas season with a lot of sadness in your heart.
Take care and God bless.
With love from,
Kim Teeuwsen

Frances said...

Dear Darren,
Thanks for coming to support Mendelt. I know that this is a difficult day, as it is your first Christmas without Paula. Just wanted to know that I am thinking about you and Micah and hope that you are surrounded by family today.
Love and a big hug,
Frances
(Mendy's sis)

David Koyzis said...

Darren, I want you to know that we still pray for you and Micah, and now for Mendelt and his family.