Sunday, January 4, 2009

Reset Button

So, here I am living in a new house in a new city, part of a new community and a new church, starting a new career at a new job. It seems that the reset button has been pressed on my life. All of these things are significant changes from my life with Paula. Most of the time I am confident that I have made good decisions, decisions that are in line with the trajectory of my life with Paula. Other times, I wonder if there have been too many changes and that life now is too different from life with Paula. This new life promises to be good, but seems so disconnected from my previous life. Often it seems like I have lived two different lives: life-before-Paula and life-after-Paula. Sometimes it feels that there have been two different persons: Darren-with-Paula and Darren-without-Paula. There is a living link between these two lives - Micah. However a ten-month-old baby is a very different person than a two-and-a-half year-old boy. I think this discontinuity is unavoidable and there's really not much I can do about it. How could life ever remain the same when a person you love so much dies?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Darren, wishing you blessings in your new home and community in Hamilton. It is so good of you to continue to write and share. We look forward to the updates and continue to uphold you and Micah in our prayers. With love, Terry and Yvonne Veldboom

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Good to see a pic of your house! It looks great. Can't wait to visit. (if you'll have room for our ever expanding family!) Hope that you're settling well into teaching. Hope to chat soon. Love Sheila, Dan and James.

Ruth said...

Thank you for continuing to share Darren. I don't get here too often, but when I do I am overwhelmed by your generosity. God bless you in this time and may He help you to bring yourself fully together. Many blessings:) Ruth Malloy.

Anonymous said...

praying you will find peace in your 'new' normal.